Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Seven Weeks After ACL Replacement Knee Surgery: Waiting For Spring

It has now been exactly seven weeks after the first surgery and I have switched from using crutches to a trekking pole instead of a cane.  The goal is to walk as normally as possible.  At this point I just need that wee bit of support from the pole, and will likely continue to need it for the next several months.  In the past week I'm getting to the point where I can hobble along without great pain, though still a lot of discomfort.

Just today, for the first time, I was able to pedal full rotations on the stationary bike.  I was told to do only ten minutes, slowly, but out of sheer joy I kept a seven mile per hour pace for fifteen minutes.  That doesn't sound the least bit impressive, but to me it was glorious.

It's not like living through Winter and waiting for Spring, where it might be cold and dark longer than expected and then one day it's warm and sunny and the trees are suddenly turning green.  Recovery is slow and steady.  You can't wish it into going more quickly, nor should you try.

You have to learn to be patient--not determined, motivated, and inspired, just patient.  Do only what your physical therapist tells you to do, nothing more, no additional exercises you thought up yourself.  If the physical therapist tells you to raise your foot three inches, twenty times, don't raise it three feet fifty times just because you can.  At the same time, don't take it too easy because you wont simply heal up.  Without the physical therapy, you could heal up in a way that disables you somewhat for the rest of your life--tear a ligament that was just repaired or remain too tight for comfort.

I am also looking forward to my next surgery.  I'm preparing for it.  Things I didn't have before but wish I did I'm getting delivered--like a laptop desk for instance.  I may even buy a recliner.

No comments:

Post a Comment