Monday, January 10, 2011

Learning How To Walk And Pedal A Bike Again; Be A Good Patient By Being Patient

I had the first knee surgery on December 6.  Now it's January 10.

I can stand and hobble, and I thought I could walk short distances without crutches, but apparently not according to my physical therapist.

She insists that I use the crutches because it's no good for me to be walking with a limp.

So now I practice walking, with crutches, perfectly.  Even at home, I am required to use the crutches.

Patience is very important when you're recovering.  When the therapist says kick only so high, even if you can do far more and better, you need to only do what they tell you to.  If you're able to do something which exceeds what the therapist has you doing, don't do it--it's a mistake.  Be a good patient by being patient.

On the positive side, I was allowed to get on the stationary bike for the very first time today.  As a cyclist, this is what I was really looking forward to.  I'm not able to make a full rotation of the crank yet, just back and forth, but having my feet on pedals again for the first time since I was hit on October 2 sure feels good.

No comments:

Post a Comment