Sunday, February 13, 2011

NEWS Flash: Sudden Lack of Physical Activity Can Make You Fat!

When I first came out of surgery and was taking strong pain killers every day I did lose some weight because I lost my appetite and nearly felt like throwing up all the time, and then there was the new sport of getting around on crutches.  But soon after, with all the laying around an inability to even ride a bike on a trainer for the first couple of months I gained no less than 5 kilograms (1 kg = 2.2 lbs) at a rate of about one kilogram per week.

What could I do about it?  I couldn't very well hop on the bike and burn it off, so I had to cut back on my calorie intake.  I even considered outright starving myself until I was down to my preferred weight.

It turns out this is not as tough as it seems.  The amount I would normally eat is based on my normal level of physical activity.  Since I was barely physically active at all, I simply didn't feel the need to eat as much.  In other words, I could eat the same foods, just less of them.  Where I would normally have two sandwiches, I've been having one.

But this is also an opportunity not to be missed.  I've been trying to lose some weight I gained after moving back to the States from Japan for the last several years but just couldn't do it.  Now I can not only cut down on the food I normally eat, but really improve my food choices here in the States (in Japan I never had to worry about it--it's all good).

It's still kind of upsetting to see my presently bloated body in the mirror, but I also see that I'm trimming down and will soon be at least back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment