Monday, March 5, 2012

When You Can't Go Cycling Due to Disability: Exploring Your Other Interests

In my case, cycling is my main thing, but you may have an activity which is just as dear to you which you can't do after an accident.

One time, when my wife and I had begun dating seriously, she actually said to me while standing in my apartment in Narashino, Chiba, Japan--which was more like a bicycle garage with a bed and a TV in it than a place to live--"You love cycling more than me, so you have to choose--me or cycling."  I smiled and replied, "It was nice knowing you."  I wasn't calling her bluff; I thought I shouldn't have to give up riding my bicycles for the sake of a relationship.  If I couldn't be a cyclist, then I couldn't be me, and therefore could not be happy.

She huffed, but didn't leave after presenting this ultimatum, and these days she actually looks forward to and supports my avid cycling habit--because it gets me out of the house and she gets to spend quality time with the television without distractions.

So fast forward to post-October 2010 when I became unable to go cycling.  I'm home for all but doctor appointments and physical therapy and particularly at first both of us were genuinely miserable with this new reality we suddenly found ourselves in, where I would not be riding at all.

I dealt with this exploring my other interests more deeply.  I started writing and reading more again--as I used to before moving to New York City--had just managed to save up for a planned purchase of a telescope and all its related equipment a few months later, and I have been strengthening both my practice of Nichiren Buddhism as well as the various wonderful relationships I have in my life with friends, peers, and family.  Despite being genuinely sad about not riding, I was able pour myself into other things which I could do.  I now absolutely love Astronomy, have rediscovered my love of reading several books at a time, writing, and something I used to not enjoy at all which is driving.  In fact, I think this time I've had to reflect on my hobbies and other talents will positively change my career and academic path.  I've even made some new friends amongst whom are professional Astronomers, and even an engineer from the Apollo missions.

While I consider it fortunate that I was hit in October, at the end of the season, so that I effectively will have only missed one full season of bicycle tours if I fulfill my goal and start riding again this Spring, I have also discovered that I am not some miserable bloke with only one joy in life--oh, yeah, and I have a wife too so I guess we have to count her in and call it two joys in life.

I don't feel it will be very hard to get back into cycling at least as strongly as I did before, especially as my many cycling friends have been simultaneously teasing and encouraging me to ride with them.  I don't think they even know what I look like in regular clothes!  At the same time, I don't want to toss aside this wealth of rediscovered interests and the new friends I have gained along the way.

In fact, as soon as I'm settled in a job and riding again, I'm strongly considering taking courses in film school.

No comments:

Post a Comment