Monday, March 12, 2012

Today's Independent Medical Examiner is a Chiropractor

I have to go to the Independent Medical Examiner today. This one is a chiropractor. Basically, this is where no matter how injured you may be, the doctor is paid to say you are fine so the insurer can deny your claim. You could lose a leg and the IME would say you walked normally and required no further treatment.

I notice that they always have these examinations here in New York City in the most difficult to get to areas, and when you get there the waiting area is designed for discomfort, especially for the disabled.

The last IME appointment I went to, I had to wait about three hours and my spine was killing me. While there, I met someone who had been sent to an IME four times in a row and each time, after waiting for hours, they told him that they were done for the day and would have to reschedule him. I told him that legally they couldn't do that--as it was clearly unreasonable. The strategy was obviously that this person is very seriously injured, that there's no denying it, but if you keep requiring him to go to these appointments eventually he will miss one and then they can not only cut off his claim but refuse to pay any outstanding charges for treatment he has already received.

Lovely business, insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment