Friday, April 29, 2011

Long Term Disability: Approved!

I purchased my own Long Term Disability (LTD) insurance through MetLife back in late September when I started my new job, and I purchased the higher limit which pays me 66.66% of my regular salary starting from six months after I go on Disability.  That first six months was covered by Short Term Disability.

Putting in a claim for LTD was not nearly as easy as it was for Short Term Disability (STD).  With STD, I simply had to have my doctor fill out a form every couple of months, fax it in, and it was approved.  For LTD they needed statements from me, my manager (who definitely was not on my side), and the principle medical provider --for the first part.

After that initial submission they sent me a package asking for more details--a self-description of my condition and ability to perform work and normal daily activities.  And I submitted this along with a pharmacy record, and another statement of attending physician.

Then they contacted every physician who ever treated me over the last several years, to make sure that I never went to any of them about the knee or back conditions I was being treated for prior to me purchasing the LTD insurance.

The good thing for me is that I rarely have been to doctors before being hit by a car on October 2 last year.  My entire pharmacy history was pain relievers, and only doctor visits were for check ups and flu shots.  In other words, I was a mighty specimen of health before getting hit.

Still, of course I was nervous.  I knew my job was kaput, and if I didn't get this LTD money I wouldn't be able to support my wife and myself.  I wouldn't be able to pay for my car or rent.  And I would fall deeply in debt.  I would lose everything because a driver couldn't bother to stop before the crosswalk when she had a red light one day.

So when I received the call the other day, telling me my claim was approved, it was a giant relief.

I've been buying this insurance for years, but now wholeheartedly endorse it adding that if you don't buy Short Term Disability and Long Term Disability insurance that's available to you, you're out of your mind.

Thank you MetLife.

No comments:

Post a Comment